Fruit and Vegetables; why feed them?
Not only do certain fruit and vegetables help akalize the body, they also offer a wide range of nutrients which meat alone can not always offer. They’re also an excellent source of water! Dark leafy vegetables, in particular, offer important minerals like calcium, potassium and magnesium, while some raw vegetables offer key vitamins like Vitamins A, E and K.
So why don’t you add fruit or veg into your meals?
It’s very simple, we want to be able to offer you the flexibility to do this. Not every dog will suit every type of fruit / veg which could upset them in various ways. As a new brand, we are initially concentrating on a well formed, meat based meal, which you can add to with your own supplements, fruits and vegetables of choice.
What fruit should I feed my dog and how often?
Here are just a few to get you started. You can alternate these around, and you can offer up to 10% of fruit to your dogs daily meal. Remember, some fruits can be higher in sugar than others, so best not to feed too often!
• Apples are a great source of vitamins A & C and packed full of fibre to keep your dogs digestive system working effectively.
• Bananas also offer vitamin C, potassium, fibre and vitamin B6, they’re also low in sodium, cholesterol and fat.
• Blueberries are another great low-calorie treat. Full of anti-oxidants, fibre and vitamins C and K; helping to support the immune system and overall health.
And what about vegetables?
Remember to blitz, steam or boil your veg before you feed to your dog as they can’t break down the components to receive the full benefits from raw veg.
• Spinach is a great leafy green to offer your dog. It’s rich in vitamins A, C and K, high in calcium, iron and potassium, plus a great source of fibre. All these components help stimulate the digestive tract, plus they’re full of anti-oxidants
• Kale is another great leafy green to offer as it’s high in calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron. They offer to help support healthy bones and a healthy heart, plus help fight off infections, support vision and help the liver detox!
• Carrots contain over 200 nutrients and phytonutrients which can support a wide range of benefits for your dog. Good digestive system, boosts heart health, a healthy immune system with added benefit for the liver, kidney and lungs.
Show us what you add to your dogs bowl and tag us on Facebook or Instagram.